PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT FOR KIDS
WHAT IS PERSONALITY?
We can find many theoretical and logical definitions of personality. But, in simplest and understandable words, a personality means the answer to the question – WHO AM I? or WHAT IS MY IDENTITY/UNIQUENESS/CHARACTER/DISTINCTIVENESS?
All of us have a way of thinking, behaving, acting, reacting and a way of dealing with different situations. A personality is the reflection of all the above-mentioned traits of an individual perceived by others.
HOW IS A CHILD’S PERSONALITY FORMED?
Each and every human being who has been brought to this world possesses a unique personality. Even newborn kids differ from each other in their behaviours, actions and reactions.
An individual’s personality is a combination of characteristics which he/she has inherited from parents and of those which are acquired after birth.
We cannot control the HEREDITARY OR INHERITED characteristics. All of us are gifted with those traits since our conception and are carried by us throughout our lives.
Though, we surely have control over all the other characteristics which are acquired by us after our birth. These characteristics are influenced by many factors like our home environment, our surroundings, formal schooling, neighbours, friends and many more.
HOW TO DEVELOP A CHILD’S PERSONALITY?
In earlier times, personality development was not a matter of concern for parents and individuals. But, with growing expectations from children to act smart, face challenges of the modern-day world and create their mark in the society has made this subject of prime necessity for all the concerned and aware parents.
There is no right age to begin the process of personality development in children. Best results can be obtained by giving attention to the overall personality of a child in his/her formative years. It is important to lay a strong foundation in kids by instilling good grains in them. This can be done by adopting HOLISTIC LEARNING CONCEPTS focusing on all the traits of personality equally.
Formal schooling does little to develop students’ personality. It is, therefore, necessary to undertake necessary co-curricular activities to achieve holistic development of children.
In this article, we will suggest you BEST TIPS TO ENHANCE A CHILD’S PERSONALITY HOLISTICALLY and various techniques and activities to execute those tips in real life in a fun-filled way. If learning is done in a fun way, it gets turned into absorption which is much more efficient than hours spent in mugging up things in a boring way.
BEST TIPS FOR HOLISTIC PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT OF KIDS
You may find many theoretical techniques of personality development of kids. But, in modern day world situations have become more challenging. Kids have become really smart and refuse to do things if they are not of their choice.
We are listing few tips which are concluded after a lot of research and practically assessing the interests and liking of kids in their foundation years. We will also be suggesting different modules, activities and games to use these tips practically on kids to transform them into confident and an all-rounder kid.
1. Enhance communication skills of a child so that a child can express himself/herself in the best possible way and can leave a sparkle and mark of his/her presence wherever he/she goes.
Words can create magic. Make your kids magicians by raising them as lifetime readers and indulging them in a quality audio-visual content which can help in developing their command over the language.
This can be easily done by
- Increasing vocabulary through fun reading, showing and narrating their favourite stories to them.
- Correcting their pronunciation.
- Giving them opportunities to them to talk independently both in formal and informal surroundings.
- Teach them non-verbal communication such as understanding and using appropriate body language.
2. Develop interpersonal Social Skill and team spirit in Children
As kids play and mingle with other children, they develop a range of interpersonal skills that become the basis of their personality.
Often kids need some guidance on how to interact with others properly and how to overcome their shyness and hesitation. Along with guiding them about this, it is very important to give them free space with other kids, letting them do some mistakes and encouraging and appreciating them for their efforts even if they are not perfect.
They need to understand that if they learn to work in teams, they can achieve anything in this world.
You can guide kids on the following:
- Greeting others appropriately.
- Encouraging them to initiate and participate in conversations with friends and elders.
- Talking with confidence without any hesitation.
- Expressing themselves in whatever way they feel like but without getting rude and loud. Suppressing feelings and emotions can adversely affect personality.
3. Teaching them to accept their defeat and failures.
- Very few people in this world can accept failures. In childhood, most of the kids are kept devoid of experiencing the realities of life as they are kept under the protective shell of their parents. And when they grow up and face the actual ups and downs of life, they break down. This is why so many youngsters commit suicide.
- If a child has learnt the art of accepting defeat, assume that he/she has won half of the battle of life. Perseverance is the key to success. They have to be taught that it is impossible for anybody to win every time in various walks of life. Failures are natural which can’t be avoided and the smartest way to deal with them is to learn from them and without getting upset and without losing self-esteem and self-confidence try again. Always say to yourself – I CAN DO IT!
- Many kids start cheating, shouting and behaving in a weird way if they lose a game. Teach them that games are played just for fun. Winning and losing does not matter at all. Teach them to be a good sport.
4. Inculcate problem/conflict solving skills in them – Decision making
- Fighting over trivial issues while playing and doing daily activities is quite common with kids. Most of the time, the fight is oversharing or on issues of fairness. Although, it may feel natural to remove a child from that situation, sometimes it may be more appropriate for the child to learn how to resolve the issue for themselves.
- If they learn to solve these trivial issues on their own in their early age, this will help them at home and in the workplace also throughout their life. It is a lot easier to learn conflict resolution skills as a child than it is as an adult.
This can be done by teaching kids
- To identify and control their emotions.
- To make choices and decisions in the least time.
- To understand other’s emotions and feelings.
- To analyse the situation and think of possible solutions.
- To think about different ways to amend the situation after the fight.
- To say ‘SORRY’ in no time.
5. Understanding non-verbal communication – body language
- Body language means expressing without speaking through actions, body movements and signals or clues that show how someone is feeling and trying to say. Many people don't communicate with words. It is important for kids to understand their body language to know how to interact with them. Understanding and reacting to body language in the right way can help kids to improve their relationships with others.
Kids can learn this art very easily by playing various games.
6. Learning public speaking
Many kids have fear of speaking in front of others or performing on stage. Good orators are always benefitted in every walk of life be it a school presentation, college debates and role plays, job interview or on job customer handling.
We can easily help kids to get rid of this fear in a fun way.
- Make them play impromptu fun games.
- Indulge them in extempore speaking sessions by giving them either funny or real to life topics of their choice.
- Organize role-play sessions within your family.
- Make their videos while they are performing and show them videos of other good orators too.
Last but not the least, appreciate them a lot. Even if you find flaws in their performance, appreciate them to the fullest. Never do the mistake of comparing them with other kids.
Now, some people say that if we will not tell mistake of our kids, how will they improve? The answer to this practical problem is very simple. Whenever you need to criticize your kid to improve him/her, be very subtle in your approach. The strategy is to sandwich your criticism between your appreciations. The child will understand what you are trying to say without any adverse effect.
7. Developing hobbies like dancing, singing, painting, martial arts, etc.
Developing a hobby of child’s interest is a boon for him/her. It undoubtedly enhances self-confidence and belief in ‘I CAN DO IT’ philosophy.
8. Enhancing general knowledge and teaching basic etiquettes
Etiquettes speak better than words. As soon as a child appears in front of others, people start judging the kid in terms of behaviour, mannerisms, speech and actions. A child with etiquette knowledge definitely stands out amongst the peers.
Teach them about basic etiquettes and enhance their General knowledge by teaching fun facts, showing them knowledgeable videos and reading out amazing stories to them.
By following these simple tips, a child’s personality can be transformed manifolds. Soon, we are coming up with many practical fun ways in which you can easily execute all these tips and can bring complete transformation to your kid like a piece of cake.